If you’re in the Home Furnishings industry, you know High Point Market. But if you’re new to Home Furnishings, maybe you’d like to gain a bit of knowledge on this historic industry event. Here’s our basic guide for where to stay, what to eat, and how to pass the time at High Point Market 2017.
A Brief History of High Point Market
High Point market is the largest home furnishings trade show in the world, hosting roughly 2000 exhibitors in 180 different buildings. The Market, located in High Point, North Carolina, attracts over 75,000 visitors annually and contains over 11.5 million feet of show space.
The very first High Point Market goes back as far as the early 1900s, when it was originally called the Southern Furniture Market before later being renamed. You may be wondering “Why Highpoint, NC?” The reason for the location is thanks to High Point’s bustling manufacturing industry. In 1889 production began in High Point’s first furniture factory. Noting this factory’s success, many more furniture manufacturers followed suit. The industry continued to boom thanks to the area’s ready supply of hardwood and high consumer demand. In 1901, thirty-five furniture manufacturers gathered together to discuss the first Southern Furniture Exposition . By 1909, the first market opened and the rest is history.
This year, High Point Market will take place from April 22nd-26th and again in the Fall from October 14th-18th. The event attracts retailers, designers, and manufacturers alike and provides an
Where to Stay
It can be tough to get a spot right in the center of the action in High Point unless you really plan ahead early, so one idea is to look a little ways outside of the city. Consider checking out Greensboro, NC, which is only a 20-minute drive away.
If you’re up for an Air BnB, there are some downright beautiful places to stay in Greensboro. Here are a few of our favorites:
- This charming queen anne retreat—$85/night
- This cozy home away from home– $126/night
- This adorable tiny house in the trees– $78/night
If you do want to stay right in High Point, there are still some hotel options. Here are two with high rankings:
Where to Eat
We’ve scoped out the best places to grab grub in between events. Check ’em out:
- Did someone say crepes? Step into the The Penny Path Café & Crepe Shop for breakfast.
- When in the South, eat as the Southerners do– and that means Biscuits! The Biscuit Factory can help you with that.
- Speaking of Southern, check out Becky’s & Mary’s for lunch. Or if you’ve had your fill of Southern fare, grab a table at Lulu & Blu.
- For a high-end option, look to the Blue Water Grille for their martinis and seafood.
- And after all this eating, save room for dessert and grab some ice cream from Tea Time Lounge.
What Not to Miss At High Point Market 2017
The big to-do at High Point market 2017? Network! This is the place to be when it comes to making great connections in your industry. Besides the opportunity to meet fellow professionals, High Point really does have an event for every visitor. Of course what you’ll want to check out will depend on what you do within the industry, but here are a few events that are sure to stand out for this year’s market.
- Authentic French Breakfast. Enjoy breakfast as Parisians do with French Heritage—munch on brioche, fresh fruit, pain au chocolate, and more.
- Exhibitor: French Heritage
- When: 7:45-11am, 4/22
- Where: Showroom 1638 English Rd. (main)
Launch Party! Steve Leung for Theodore Alexander. Celebrate with Theodore Alexander for the launch of their Steve Leung for Theodore Alexander Collection. Cocktails and canapés will be served.
- Exhibitor: Theodore Alexander
When: 5-6pm, 4/22Where: 229 W. Russel Ave.5pm – 6pm, Sat. Apr. 22
- Stars Under the Stars. This year’s Stars Under the Stars features a performance from country music sensation Trisha Yearwood.
- When: 7-9pm, 4/22
- Where: Center Stage, across from the transportation terminal
- Loloi Market Bash. Loloi’s bash will give visitors a peak at their new collection with ED Ellen Degeneres.
- Exhibitor: Loloi Rugs
- When: 5-10:30pm
- Where: IHFC, Design Center, Floor 3
- 4 Pillars for Success in Today’s Retail Economy. Speaker Erika Sparrow will talk insights learned from 5000 retailers across the country on best strategies.
- When: 9-10am
- Where: Retailer Resource Center—1st floor plaza suites
- An Afternoon with Candice Olson. Candice, a 25-year design and decor veteran, will share how she styles with Surya accessories.
- Exhibitor: Surya
- When: 2-3pm
- Where: Showplace, Floor 4
- Influence of Fashion on the Interior Design Industry. Learn how color, shape, and texture influences from high fashion have a major role in home furnishings.
- Exhibitor: Leathercraft, inc.
- When: 3-4pm
- Where: 200 N. Hamilton St., Floor 2, Hamilton/Wrenn District.
HPMKT KEYNOTE SERIES: Turn Web Traffic Into Foot Traffic; Google shows how to win the moments that win customers. Join Google Strategist and Marketing Development Manager Andrew Leonard to hear how you can win in today’s digital landscape.
- When: 3-4pm, 4/22
Where: High Point Theatre (located in the Transportation Terminal)
There you have it, your guide for High Point Market 2017. For more information, visit the High Point website.
Located in Louisville, KY, RM Innovation provides powerful retail t.echnologies for the Rug & Home Furnishings industry.